with love and connection.
Eating more—not less, moving more and stressing less were the first three topics covered in my current four-part series based on UnDo It!, the new book by Dr. Dean Ornish, M.D., and Anne Ornish. This science-based resource shows how simple it can be to prevent or even reverse chronic lifestyle diseases such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, obesity and some cancers. (Missed any of the first articles? Catch up here.)
We’ve heard that if our mothers, fathers or grandparents have high cholesterol or clogged arteries, we likely will too, yet the newest medical data shows that only about 25% of our health condition is a result of our family tree. That leaves a whopping 75% that we can do something about. Enter Dr. Ornish and his four-part plan for healthy living:
Eat well, move more, stress less and love more.
This week, we’re talking about love — not the swiping left or right kind of love, but the kind of love and intimacy that helps us feel connected, seen and heard, as opposed to depressed, isolated and lonely. It turns out that feelings of love and connection are as important to our health as is what we eat and how much we exercise. And no, Facebook doesn’t count. It seems the more I use social media, the worse I feel. Can anyone else relate?
I’m divorced/single/widowed/alone. Is good health only for people in a relationship?
Nooooo! Personally, I’ve been single for six years now, and there are many ways I get love and connection that don’t involve a screen or device:
The constant companionship of my 14-year old standard poodle, Oscar
Chats with my girlfriends
The love and support of my boyfriend
Visits to photography exhibitions with my father
Gardening with my mother
Hanging out on my front porch with my neighbors
Laughing with my yoga students after class
Solo walks on the beach or in the woods
Watching the sunrise, in silence
Sitting with my breath in meditation
These last three may surprise you as they’re solitary activities; however, spending time in nature and being on your own are both excellent ways to connect with something greater than ourselves. And at the end of the day, it’s connection with The Universe, God, or our own higher self that truly feeds us. Which brings me to…
I know it sounds cliché, but the reality is until we love ourselves, how can we possibly receive love from another? Once we are able to accept and love ourselves, warts and all, everything else will feel much easier, because let’s face it – we can be our own worst enemies.
“Your task is not to seek for Love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” — Rumi
A practice for cultivating love
Go to a mirror.
Look at yourself in the mirror.
Tell yourself, “I love you,” until you mean it.
Loving ourselves, managing the effects of stress, moving our bodies and eating good food are all simple, powerful ways to live a healthy, meaningful life. But sometimes knowing what to do and actually doing it can be tough. This is where health coaching comes in.
As your health coach I provide:
A system for transformation
Firm accountabilitywhen needed
And limitless loving support.
Let me know when you’re ready to take the next step towards feeling your best.
Click here to schedule a free 45-minute discovery call to find out more about Feeling your very best at any age, particularly after 50.